Clinically extremely vulnerable people
The Government advice to people who are defined on medical grounds, as clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus are advised over the period of the new national lockdown to work from home.
The new guidance adds two new groups of adult patients to the criteria, adults with:
- stage 5 chronic kidney disease (not on dialysis or with a renal transplant – these patients should already be on the SPL)
- Down’s syndrome
Other key points:
- If you cannot work from home you are advised not to go to work and may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA).
- You are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible, but are encouraged to go outside for exercise.
- The full guidance is available here and the Government is writing to this cohort to set out detailed advice while the new restrictions are in place.
- If you think there are good clinical reasons why you should be added to the Shielded patients list, discuss your concerns with your GP or hospital clinician.